Friday, May 22, 2009

Getting the gardens ready...


We finally got a good start on the gardens. It was hard waiting so long, but they say once the May Long Weekend is past it's safe, so away we go!! This is the lower garden where we'll plant our beans, peppers and tomatoes. We scalped the grass right down and after it dies off Peter will get it all worked up. We'll still wait another week or so until we put the seeds and plants in - it's still pretty cold at night for the more delicate veggies.


Here's the top garden. Peter's adding some nice composted manure - there's definitely benefits to being on the farm! Abundant access to great fertilizer and not having to add it by the wheelbarrow full! This garden doesn't get as much sun so we'll use it for lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, onions, garlic, carrots and beets.


This picture reminds me of my Opa. I always think of him when I'm working in the garden.
I sure do miss him.

I think October must be the perfect month to have a baby. The 'bump' doesn't really get in the way yet, so planting wasn't difficult, and we'll hopefully have most of the harvest in by the time our own little sprout arrives :)



Making the perfect little bed for the seeds.

"Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness." (2 Corinthians 9:10) Amen!!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Ange, I'm blown away by your energy and garden plans. Opa's legacy continues with both you and Aaron, though your scale is much larger. May you and yours enjoy a very rich harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's huge... the gardens I mean. ;) We've taken your cue from you two and have put in our first garden ever. I don't know where you find all your energy. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, you have such a beautiful way combining photo with words and scripture. You make it sound so much at home and I miss my family all the more :)

    ReplyDelete