Saturday, May 16, 2009

It's spring fever...


...That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! ~Mark Twain

Spring fever has officially come to the Koobs family. We are bunch of busy, moving, digging, discovering, running, playing, working bodies. All ready half of the sandbox has been dragged into the house and left in the couch cushions and the bottom of the bathtub. But I can't complain. Mere weeks ago the view out of our window looked like this -


So we are more than ready for the springtime! Peter has been working triple time, putting in extra hours at the dairy barn so his dad and uncle can keep things going out in the field, and even hopping up onto the tractor himself when duty calls (tractor driving is his least favorite job around the farm - he's got too much energy to sit in the cab for more than a few hours at a time.) We're also sending calves out again from our farm, which means extra time weighing, sorting and shipping each week. During a four month break, while our new calves were busy putting on some weight, I seem to have lost some of my agility...perhaps my own expanding waistline has something to do with that :) Cutting out the calves this week was more difficult than I remember! Hopefully between chasing the calves, and our own little crew, around my sleek and agile movements will return...Now if only they made maternity coveralls, I'd be all set!

As soon as the snow melted, Peter set to work building us this wonderful contraption -


If you click on the picture, you can see the starts of some of the seeds coming up. We'd never had a coldframe before, but up here we're about 2 weeks behind those of you living in the 'Banana Belt' of the Niagara Peninsula. So to get us going on our spinach, lettuce and swiss chard Peter built the coldframe and it looks like we'll be enjoying our first salad from the 'garden' next week! We've laid out the rest of our beds, but it may be another week or two before we can put anything into the ground. I can't wait!! Pete and I love puttering around together getting the garden in and the upkeep works good between us as well. I'm the appointed 'Destroyer of the Weeds', while Pete makes sure everything gets the moisture it needs to thrive. He's also quite handy when it comes to keeping it pest free. He's just like my Opa used to be, setting up his pie plates around the tender shoots to scare off the rabbits and adding a sprinkling of lime here and there to keep the slugs off. Gracie Jo was already a big help last year pulling weeds and picking beans, and I know she'll be working along right there beside me this summer. Silas will be happy to dig in the dirt and mud and Levi...well, we'll probably have to tether him to the clothesline while we get our work done! He is one busy little fella :) Vegetable gardening is something that holds so many special memories for me, and I love that I can share it with my own family now. I look forward to keeping you posted on the happenings from our little plot this summer :)

Well, this post is much longer than I intended, and yet there's still so much more to share. I'm hoping I can keep this up on a fairly regular basis, but we'll see how it goes. I do hope this helps us to stay connected with our friends and family who are far away. And if you're reading this and you see us on a regular basis, well, I'm excited to have you here too! I'm going to leave you with some pictures from the kiddies. The fresh air and sunshine seems to be working it's wonders on them as well, they're all sprouting up like you wouldn't believe. And now, just as we are preparing for a season of new growth and beauty "may you live a life worthy of the Lord and may you please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God." (Colossians 1:10) God's richest blessings xoxoxo The Koobs Klan

5 comments:

  1. You did it Ange! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you've joined the blogging world! And love that box Pete built you! I LOVE fresh salad! Can't wait for fresh garden produce!!!
    Love your family photo! You have the perfect little family! :D xo {{hugs}} Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying right now....oh how I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogging world. Careful, it's a little addictive! Soon you will be searching for some computer whiz to figure out how to print everything...that's currently my mission because it is a great journal over time. Happy blogging! I agree...super cute family photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad for this chance to see a bit of your life. Please keep it up and God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete