Saturday, June 27, 2009

The enemy did this...


Can you see them?? Look reeeeeally hard. Down underneath the
wide leaves of the weeds. They're there, I promise.
Yes! That's it! Those tiny, ferny shoots. Our carrots.

I hesitated sharing this photo. The unsightly state of our garden
was rather embarrassing. I was behind in my duties, and the weeds
had taken over. Thankfully, we were sent a lovely little rain this
week which softened up the ground and after a few hours things
are looking much more victorious in the garden.
Introducing....the carrots!!

What really struck me while weeding, other than the general
aching of my back and the salty beads of sweat on my face, was
how daunting the task was. I did not look forward to trying
to work through all those weeds. In my mind there were
so many good reasons why I should not be doing this - the
ridiculous heat, the enormousness of the task (tripled by trying
to keep 3 children out of mischief while I worked), and a belly
which is not quite condusive to being doubled over or
maintaining any semblance of a lady-like squatting position.
To top it all off, I could hardly see any carrots down there.
All I could see was hundreds of nasty, growthy weeds.

But then, ever so slowly, my perspective changed.
As I pulled out the enemy weeds and carefully worked
through the tender little shoots, a beautiful row of
healthy, lush carrot tops began to emerge.

This is when my 'aha' moment hit. Those little carrots
had been there all along. I just wasn't looking at them.
I had allowed my whole view, and attitude, to be clouded
by the weeds. Was it a lot of hard work to get rid of the
weeds? Heck, yes! Was it a relaxing and easy task to pull
each one out of the soil and carefully out from among the
carrots? No. Was it worth it? Yes.

How often do we allow 'weeds' to block our view of
the blessings God is giving us in our life? I'm so
guilty of grumbling and complaining when, truly, I
have so much to be thankful for. Just as the rain softened
the dirt so that the weeds could come out with their roots,
I pray that Jesus, the Living Water, will soften my heart
so that the sin that has taken root there can be pulled
out. And let my 'view' not be caught up in the weeds,
but focused on the True Gardener, who is growing great
things in our life.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

"The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't
you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the
weeds come from?' 'An enemy did this,' he replied."
-Matthew 13:27,28-

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work, both garden and blog wise. Opa would be very proud :)

    ReplyDelete