Thursday, November 19, 2009

Waking up in the Word...

I woke up grumpy.
I don't know why. I had only gotten up with Jude
three times during the night.
All the other kids slept right through.
I should have woken up refreshed.
But I wasn't. I was in a bad mood.

I did my best to push through the morning.
Getting through the chores and tasks of the day, all made
harder by the weight of my miserable demeanor.
Much too short with the kids,
and too busy being 'in a huff'
to give my farmer husband a moment of tenderness
when he came in from the barn.

Thankfully, God had other plans for the day.

Having some quiet time after lunch, all the kids finally down for a nap,
I came across this video from John Piper about memorizing Scripture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ph6zKxJDk&feature=player_embedded

Words of wisdom for sure, but when do I have time for that?
I continued on, viewing the next segment from Piper.
Six minutes worth of memorized Scripture...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdm7KkmGRdM&feature=player_embedded


He began with Psalm 1, our Silas' life verses.
I had heard this before
I knew these words by heart.
And I tuned out.

I left the video playing, his voice echoing those ancient words...
and suddenly in the stillness,
while my mind and eyes had wandered to other things,
the silence was shattered with the Word.

Piper had continued on to Psalm 16 and the words slapped me across the face.

"You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

I had lost my joy, because I wasn't resting in his presence.
As the Words continued to fill up the kitchen,
His peace and joy transformed my heart.
I was reminded.
How had I forgotten?
How do we all forget?

The Power.
The Peace.
The Joy.

And so now we will remember.


As the Christmas season approaches
we will remember what it's really all about.
And I hope that by hiding His Word in our hearts
WE WILL REMEMBER:
during the shopping,
the baking,
the visiting,
the presents,
the tree,
the movies,
the concerts,
the travelling,
the eating...

We will remember.
And I'll work at not being grumpy in the morning...

"I will exalt you, my God the King;
I will praise your name for ever and ever.
Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever.
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise;
his greatness no one can fathom.
One generation will commend your works to another;
they will tell of your mighty acts.
They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty,
and I will meditate on your wonderful works.
They will tell of the power of your awesome works,
and I will proclaim your great deeds.
They will celebrate your abundant goodness
and joyfully sing of your righteousness."
~Psalm 145:1-7~


1 comment:

  1. Some people need a little nudge. Others a bigger prod. Then there are those who need a healthy two by four reminder. Yup...I'm one of those! How sweet life is when we choose to count it all joy. Thanks for the reminder, Ang. Hope all is well and I give a 10 for the pairs skaters in the kitchen! :)x

    ReplyDelete