Thursday, December 3, 2009

Seven more sleeps...

Pete and I are off to London today for Jude's pre-op.
I can't believe we're here already.
When Jude's next surgery was set for December 10th
it seemed like we had a lot of time still.
And yet here we are.
One week away from five hours of
cutting, stitching and suturing
our baby.

I was feeling pretty good about it, but now that
it's drawing closer I'm definitely getting that nervous/sicky
feeling in my stomach that doesn't really go away.

I think part of my anxiousness is not just from the surgery,
but from the weight of everything
that goes along with this part of the journey.
Packing and preparing the three oldest for being away.
Figuring out what I'll need for our week-long stay in the hospital.
Already missing the strength of my husband at my side while I'm there.
Realizing that when we come home, it will be the week before Christmas.
How do I prepare my family's hearts in the midst of all this?

I was carrying such a heaviness as all these thoughts
weighed on my mind and then God in His incredible
wisdom and grace sent me these words in an Advent devotional.

The Christ Child in the manger,
He takes on the garment of fragile flesh
to release us from being beasts of burden.


I think of this often,
when I feel Christmas as a weight,
a burden that I'm sagging under for weeks.
Whenever Christmas begins to burden,
it's a sign that I've taken on something
of the world and not of Christ.


Christmas comes to us like the Cross
-- asking nothing of us but embrace.
So I lay down the expectations and the efforts,
the perfectionism and performance,
and I simply wait for His coming.

His blood does all the work.
He shed it to release us from burden

-- so we embrace a peaceful Advent...

- Ann Voskamp

And just as our sweet little babe awaits his
life-altering surgery in peaceful bliss

I pray that I will rest in the arms of my Father,
casting all my cares upon Him.

Originally, Jude's surgery was going to take place
when he was three months old.
I don't think it's any mistake that instead we are
preparing for it now.
Just as we are preparing for the coming
celebration of our Savior's birth.

Bringing HOPE.
Bringing PEACE.


Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary
and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.
Take my
yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and
gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For my
yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

~Matthew 11:28-30~

All's grace,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment