Tuesday, December 29, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things...

Yesterday morning, at about five o'clock, I heard strange cries coming from the kids' room.
I went to investigate and the smell met my nose before I even stepped in the room.

Another one bites the dust.

A nasty stomach bug has been making it's way through our ranks and Levi was it's newest victim. After rushing Silas to the hospital on Boxing Day when he started vomiting blood, I was not looking forward to this nasty bug taking on another one of our children. I quickly got Levi out of his sicky mess and into the bathtub, only to hear desperate cries coming from Jude's room. Rush out to get him and back to the bathroom and sit on a stool to nurse him while finishing up Levi's bath. And then Silas walks in..."My tummy hurts Mommy." And so the day began. It was not even six a.m. and I had a bed full of vomit needing to be stripped and washed, a hungry baby with a dirty diaper needing to be changed, a puking-pooping two year old staring up at me with big eyes from the bathtub, and a three year old sitting on the potty calling for my assistance.
Just before I melted into a puddle of overwhelming mess on the bathroom floor, the words quietly whispered into my ear - "Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." (1 Thes. 5:18) And as I looked at Levi sitting in a beautiful, clean bathtub (courtesy of my sweet mother-in-law) in a bathroom so warm the mirror was completely fogged up, I remembered the bathroom in our old house that was so cold in the winter mornings that the toilet water would have a layer of ice on it. And I was thankful.
As the day went on I was continually reminded of the need to have a heart of gratefulness. And, really, it was amazing how the heaviness of the early morning was replaced with a quiet, albeit subdued, joyfulness in my heart. Again, the truth of God's Word had brought hope to our family... He's pretty smart that way :)
So here's some things that are bringing joy to our days:

::No bright copper kettle or warm woolen mittens,
but these knitted slippers from a very special great-Aunt
put a big smile on Levi's face...and remind me of my
Oma Meinen which puts a big smile on my face!

::A pot of soup delivered by a sweet friend.
Nothing's more comforting than a pot of homemade
soup and the hug of a dear friend.

:: Vinyl mattress covers, a front-loading washer and dryer that
run non-stop these days, econo jugs of Tide and Clorox wipes,
and Powerade - also referred to as "pop-juice" by the boys.
Enough said.


:: Knowing that family everywhere is thinking
and praying for us.
(this stunning Christmas cactus came to us with
loving thoughts from our favorite Calgarians :)


:: Making pom-poms.
A lovely task for a five-year old to do in between vomiting.
And, really, they're just so cheery.
I think we may make a strand for every room...


::And these sweet faces...

:: ...even when they're a puking, pooping mess,
I just can't get enough!


And cultivate thankfulness.
Let the Word of Christ have the run of the house.
Give it plenty of room in your lives.
Instruct and direct one another using good common sense.
And sing, sing your hearts out to God!
Let every detail in your lives
—words, actions, whatever—
be done in the name of the Master, Jesus,
thanking God the Father every step of the way.
~Colossians 5:16,17~

3 comments:

  1. I always love your bible verses - they bring such comfort

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our prayers for strength and good humour continue to storm the gates of heaven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, you are amazing. I'm so glad you tell the whole story. not only the mess but also seeing beyond it to our Lord and Creator. Who loved us while we were still a mess.

    ReplyDelete