Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm Hooked!

Just before going into the hospital for Jude's surgery back in December I received the most awesome package in the mail. My bestie had sent me the book "I Taught Myself to Crochet". (Okay, I know most of you are probably laughing at me right now, but just you wait and see!)
So I packed up my new book, a few hooks and a couple balls of yarn and headed off to the hospital with visions of returning home with hats and mitts for everyone at Christmas. Well, our time in the hospital was pretty intense, and I came home with about 2 inches of a scarf for my dear Farmer Husband... The following weeks were equally difficult and my dreams of crocheting up a storm of gifts while snuggling up with my wee ones fell to the wayside.
Thankfully this story doesn't end there.
At the end of December we had the most wonderful visit with a special friend and her dear family. When she had found out I was pregnant, knowing my love of handmade things, she got to work and stitched up this most incredible blanket! I was completely blown away.
Look at those perfect single-crochets!
What my friend didn't know, is that my Oma Meinen used to
knit a baby blanket for each of her great-grandchildren
before they were born. If I remember correctly, I think
Kaleb was the last of the Oma's great-grandchildren to
receive her loving stitches. So getting this blanket
was so special for me. Knowing what a precious gift this
was, I was inspired to give my short-lived crocheting carreer
a second go. And boy am I ever glad I did!

And I think Jude is too :)
I can't tell you how happy it makes my heart
each time I see this picture!

They're not perfect, but they remind me
of Oma and there's just something about them.
So, thank you Marnie and Margaret for
giving me such a special gift.
And bring on the yarn, because this girl is hooked!

Some may think it's outdated,
but there's something about Proverbs 31:10-31
that just tugs at my heart.
So here's to one more step on the journey.

"She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands..."
~Proverbs 31:13~

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right, Kaleb was the last one to get a blanket! Malachi is now totally attatched to it and won't sleep without it! I think it is really neat! I wish I could make one, but am not sure where I would find the time.....or where you do!! Hope you are all well. I need a phone chat soon. Thanks for blogging, I love it!!
    Love you sweet cousin!

    ReplyDelete