Thursday, May 20, 2010

An Ode to Rhubarb

My favorite springtime bounty.
I. LOVE. RHUBARB.
I don't know how much of my love affair is with it's
tangy, fresh, earthy flavour or the way just the smell
of it reminds me of sitting around mom's kitchen table
eating bowls of yogurt topped with stewed rhubarb and
raisins. I can picture my dad, dirt and grease staining his
hands, his sweat-stained work shirt hanging open, leaning
on the table, tired after a day out planting in the fields. He
would be exhausted. But after at least two helpings of Mom's
hamburger and cabbage casserole, a staple during busy seasons
on the farm, his strength would return and when Mom doled
out the dessert, Dad would attack it with gusto. Ask anyone
in our family, Dad is capable of eating an entire helping in
the span of one breath - or so it seems .
Needless to say, we're big fans of rhubarb.


The first pie of the season.

Just looking at this picture makes my mouth water. Yum!!!


And a new discovery, to us, this year: rhubarb water.
Oh sweet, tangy nectar! How we love the way your
flavours explode in our mouth. Plus, you're just so
dang pretty! This last batch was made courtesy of a
delivery of rhubarb from some very special folks.
When I excitedly thanked her for sharing the bounty,
she said to me "Well, of course! That's just being part
of the family. We look out for each other and share what
we have." Thank you, Tante Sieny, for the reminder.

Sometimes, in the busyness of today's life, we forget
what being part of a church family is all about, why
it's so important, how it's meant to be. I know that
during the next few months, whenever we crack open
a jar of rhubarb water, I will be thanking God not
just for the bounty of the harvest, but for surrounding us
with family who love and care for us. We truly are blessed.

"Look after yourselves and everyone
the Holy Spirit has placed in your care.
Be like shepherds to God's church.
It is the flock that he bought with
the blood of his own Son."
~Acts 20:28~

It really made me wonder, "How can we
love and serve our church family?" Being involved
is hard right now, sometimes just getting this
crew out the door on Sunday morning seems
overwhelming! I think this is something else
I will ponder as we sip our rhubarb drinks...

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMM, these babes in my tummy love ruhbarb!! Send me the recipe for the water!!! How much ruhbarb can you eat before it is not good for you??!!! I can eat it all day, I just pick it straight from the garden and, MMMM YUM!!!!
    Thanks for making my mouth water!
    How can you love and serve your church family? - bring the prego with twins pastor's wife ruhbarb!!!

    ReplyDelete