Sunday, July 24, 2011

Let it Rain

We've been praying for rain here for a few weeks now.
Pete and I have been talking about the 'theology' behind praying for rain vs. trusting that God will provide for our needs regardless. I think we've settled on both approaches being okay :) So, when we noticed dark clouds and sheets of rain hanging over a neighbouring town we immediately gathered the kids together and began to pray. We watched as a thick sheet of rain, so heavy it clouded the bush across the road, moved across the wheat field...and stopped.
We went back into the house, pretty disappointed, and Pete went out to the barn to treat a cow with milk fever. I quickly flipped through my MP3 player and put on the song 'Let it Rain' and before long the kids joined me in the kitchen. While my head was resting in the assurance of knowing that God was in control and would take care of us, even if our crops didn't get the rain they so desperately needed, my heart ached at how close we had been to that life-giving wall of water that just fell. As I watched the kids dance around the kitchen I thought about these verses...

...and thought, 'Why not?'. We have a Heavenly Father whose desire is to bless us when we come to Him in obedience. Who has good gifts stored up for us if we would just humble ourselves and ask.
So,
I brought our speakers out to the front porch
and this is what happened:

video

There really wasn't enough rain for our crops...
but our faith sure grew last night.

Don't bargain with God.
Be direct. Ask for what you need.
This isn't a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we're in.
If your child asks for bread, do you trick him with sawdust?
If he asks for fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate?
As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing.
You're at least decent to your own children.
So don't you think the God who conceived you in love will be even better?
~Matthew 7:7-11

Praying that as you come before our Father this week
He will fill up your dry places
and His goodness will overwhelm you
as His mercy and grace rain down upon your lives.

Love and blessings,
The Koobs Klan

4 comments:

  1. I cried when I watched that. Gracie Jo is worshiping with such childlike faith it warms my heart. I will continue to pray that you get the rain you need. I know our farm got rain yesterday. It's crazy that it didn't make it as far as yours. G-d has a plan. He always does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely lovely and heart stirring, Ang. HE ALONE is in control. Barely three months ago we, the people, who think we know what we need, were crying out for the rain to cease! Graci-Jo and your message, warmed my soul. Thanks. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ang, how I needed this today! Love Gracie Jo's worship. this may be my favorite blog yet!!! Love ya! thankz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post brought tears to my eyes! So beautiful!
    It is pouring rain here at the minute and and continues to nourish the corn crops around these parts. God is truly so faithful.
    I'll have to listen to Michael W Smith's song now...
    Let it Rain...and it is:)
    Blessings!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete