Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Night We Burned Our Christmas Tree

I could write an entire book on why our kiddos are so blessed to have Peter as their dad. He is such an incredible balance to my overly uptight, slightly OCD personality. I am a planner. He likes being spontaneous. I love routine and structure. He likes to 'mix it up'. I don't like using the same knife to spread butter and then jam. Pete would use the same pot to cook in and eat directly out of...all week. That being said, this evening was entirely courtesy of Peter. He came in a bit early from chores and said "Tonight's the perfect night for a bonfire! You wanna burn the Christmas tree?" I, in all my Type-A glory, probably gave him a flabbergasted look and exclaimed something ridiculous like "But the kids already brushed their teeth! It's almost bedtime. It's a week night. What are you thinking...?" Thankfully, through the years, I've realized that, occasionally, it's alright to break from routine and schedules.  That Peter's ideas usually end in incredible fun and very special memories being made. So, we hauled the Christmas tree to the fire pit...and proceeded to have one of my favorite nights of the summer so far. A ginormous fiery explosion, smores, stories and devotions while we soaked up the glow of the setting sun and the sounds of the night.  I'm so glad God gave us this wonderfully wise man to lead our family. He brings so much joy our lives. Thank you, Peter, for reminding me how good it is to 'break the rules' every now and then and for giving our family such a special night together. XO



































Then men may know from sunrise to sunset 
that there is no God besides Me.
 I am the Lord, and there is no other.
-Isaiah 45:6

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Angela- it made my day (and it was already a good one :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But the kids already brushed their teeth!" Heeheehee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss all these new enteries? thx so much! Keep em coming! J

    ReplyDelete