Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Most Perfect Parcel

 On Thursday we had the best mail day ever! Gracie Jo came racing into the house with a packing tape wrapped tube and, after quickly checking with me, excitedly began tearing through the layers of tape. Inside the tube was the sweetest letter along with a package of activities that was exactly what this crew needed to bring some sunshine to another cold, damp, grey February afternoon.  A very dear friend of mine has been doing amazing things in her community while leading a 'Messy Church' ministry through her congregation. It's been so exciting hearing the things she's been doing through this program and watching her using her gifts and talents in such a significant way. I'm constantly in awe of the programs she comes up with and the dedication she has to serving in this ministry. If we lived even a little closer you can bet we'd be packing ourselves up to hang out with them on Wednesdays! Knowing that heading out to the Woodstock area is quite a hike for us though, my friend packaged up a bit of their last Messy Church and sent it our way! Here's a peek at the fun:








She even included a whale for Katie...
...who quickly discovered the salt dough creations weren't actually for eating :)

 Along with the crafts, she packed up some dried seaweed to complete our Jonah experience, because 'don't you sometimes wonder what Jonah ate the whole time he was in the belly of the fish?' - she thinks of everything, I tell you! Messy Church afternoons are so much fun :)


 The dried seaweed was met by some with great trepidation ...
 ...while others were keen to dig in.


The results were pretty unanimous though -

Seaweed will not be a favorite snack around here....

 ...although when I asked them what they thought about it, apparently Jude changed his opinion? Ha!!

Thank you so much for thinking of us, Dawn. Your friendship and thoughtfulness have been a blessing in more ways than I can say. These sweet whales have been shared with friends, slept with, hidden away in treasure bags and, mostly, just float around our home bringing lots of smiles and creative play.  As I watched the kids engage with the story of Jonah in a new, inspired way I couldn't help but wonder what new and exciting things God has in store for you and your ministry. You and your family are in our prayers with much joy and thanksgiving. I can't wait to see what the next season brings!


"Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God while in the stomach of the fish,  saying, “I called out to the Lord because of my trouble, and He answered me. I cried for help from the place of the dead, and You heard my voiceYou threw me into the deep waters, to the very bottom of the sea. A flood was all around me and all Your waves passed over me. Then I said, ‘I have been sent away from Your eyes. But I will look again toward Your holy house.’ Waters closed in over me. The sea was all around me. Weeds were around my head.I went down to the roots of the mountains. The walls of the earth were around me forever. But You have brought me up from the grave, O Lord my GodWhile I was losing all my strength, I remembered the Lord. And my prayer came to You, into Your holy house. Those who worship false gods have given up their faith in You. But I will give gifts in worship to You with a thankful voice. I will give You what I have promised. The Lord is the One Who saves.” ~Jonah 2:1-9

1 comment: