Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Garden :: First week in July



The heat finally came and, combined with two.whole.weeks of thundershowers every day, we've got a little jungle growing out here. The zucchinis that I planted for the first time from seed decided to start growing and look out, people! I see a "Free Zucchini!!" stand at the end of our lane soon :) The beans are climbing away, the marigolds are keeping the bugs at bay, and the onions, carrots and beets are looking scrumptious! The tomatoes are just teasing us with their gorgeous green globes and the spinach, swiss chard, lettuce and herbs fill our plates each day. A new favorite treat is radishes - sliced with a little dollop of butter and sprinkle of sea salt. Mmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! And the raspberries...wildly delicious. A handful in our supper smoothie, some more on top of yogurt and most of them straight from the bush to our tummy. So thankful for the quiet moments out in this little space. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely times when there's too much happening and I'm tired and the garden chores are just another thing I need to check of my 'to-do' list! But more and more I'm finding when I keep our days simple, and move through the tasks of caring for this crew with a gratefulness and awe at the task I've been given, that the little things - pulling weeds, rinsing greens at the kitchen sink, winding the tender shoots of the bean plants up the fence - become a joy instead of a job. So often I let my feelings of tiredness, frustration, impatience and inadequacy hide what He has given as a gift. Thankful for grace and a Teacher who never stops revealing His truth to this (somewhat of a slow-learner?) girl's heart :)
Therefore with joy you will draw water
 from the wells of salvation.
And in that day you will say:
“Praise the Lord, call upon His name;
Declare His deeds among the peoples,
Make mention that His name is exalted.
~Isaiah 12:3-4~

4 comments:

  1. If you have extra zucchini that you want to get rid of...I know of a belly that loves zucchini and simply cannot get enough vegetables into it right now! (Bean loves vegetables of all sorts!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep you in mind!! We're still in the manageable stage but I can see that in a few weeks we'll be in Zucchini Land and then you will get a personal CSA delivery to your doorstep! :) xo

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks amazing - we're just about to move and I'll be going from raised beds to something this size next year - can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for you! Raised beds are great when space is limited but there's just something about strolling right through your garden that can't be beat :) All the best with your move and your new patch!

      Delete